"Too Big" is truly too big, and only getting bigger. I am also going to be doing an exchange with Beloit College as part of the methodology for movement generation for "Too Big"
Here is a snapshot of how all these puzzle pieces fit together for me. It is how my spider-web brain works.
I brought this diagram to my meeting with the Dean today. Sometimes linearity doesn't work. He seemed excited by the diagram.
I am interested in the intersections between methods for generating and manipulating movement material, and the methods for generating content material. In my work, I guess I could stay I need "topic" first. In this case, it was the topic supplied by the "Too Big" project. That topic being: "the economy, access and opportunity."
For readers who know my work, past topics have included "Darwin's Theory of Evolution", "The Annunciation", "Route 66", "Lost & Found in America stories" and "Turkey buzzard migration."
From topic, I look for metaphors that will work for me. For "Too Big" one metaphor is wolf at the door.
Then I develop specific prompts to use in workshops and rehearsals for the dancers to generate personal movement material, and also text material. As Artistic Director of Gallim Dance puts it "I am the problem-maker and my dancers are the problem-solvers."
My work as a choreographer/director is shaping the movement and text material, through the lenses of the metaphors that are working for me - to fit in the basket of the overarching topic. For readers who know my work, past topics have included "Darwin's Theory of Evolution", "The Annunciation - the Virgin Mary and the Angel Gabriel", "Route 66", "Lost & Found in America stories" and "Turkey buzzard migration."
So how does the Distance Dances method fit in? Gina Tai contacted me about an exchange between Grinnell Dance Ensemble and Beloit's Repertory Dance Company, using the Distance Dances methodology. I see it working like this. There will be a section of our Spring performance that will be created using the Distance Dances methods on raw solo material that is generated from the prompts I am using in "Too Big." A team of Beloit dancers will come to Grinnell with Gina to teach the Distance Dances method and initiate the internet exchange and development of movement material through that method. A team of Grinnell dancers will accompany me to Beloit where I will share some of the movement generation prompts that we are developing in "Too Big". Content + method.
Outcomes:
- The spring "Too Big" Dance Ensemble production will include a section that was developed using the Distance Dances method, and was created in collaboration with the Beloit Dancers. This section will include the virtual presence of the Beloit dancers.
- The team of Grinnell dancers who went to Beloit, will join the Beloit Dancers in a Chicago production. For this production, the Grinnell and Beloit dancers will be dancing together in real space/time.
Is that confusing enough? Perfectly clear to me....
:)
More about Distance Dances can be found here:
distancedances.wordpress.com
sangerdistancedances.wordpress.com
dancefriends.tumblr.com

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.