Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why this story? Why now?

Talking with long time friend Linda Parris-Bailey (Carpetbag Theatre) in Nashville at the Performing Arts Exchange conference.  In the newest piece she is working on, she recounted the moment when she realized the "Why this story? Why now?"
We talked about pieces that we work on, and that moment when the personal connection smacks in.  The "Oh! That's what this is really about..." moment.
When I started making work, the "True Stories from New Jersey" series, I had a story to tell that I felt compelled to tell.  As my art-making now begins to enter twenty-five years of doing, the "I have a story to tell" is less and less evident. Instead, I become fascinated with something (Annunciation, Darwin, Elephants...) but I am not so personally driven with a personal story.  Until somewhere in the process I have that V-8 moment and I realize "Oh, that's what this is really about."
I am waiting for that moment with "Too Big".  The content is such an odd choice for me.  A very odd choice.
Where is it taking me?  What will I discover?
Nashville, Sept 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.